Car batteries can suddenly die for two reasons: Either because of negligence, when we forget to turn off the lights and they are kept on overnight, or when we fail to maintain the battery properly and it erodes over time until completely failed. For the given second reason, we usually fall for an urban myth – a misconception or speculated stories about lead-acid batteries in cars. This article briefly discusses eight of the most common myths with the realities about these batteries:
- Storing the battery on concrete pavement will cause them to discharge- About 100 years ago, batteries in a wooden case would really discharge when put on concrete. But since they are now sealed in plastic containers securely, there will be no unintended leakage.
- Under any circumstance, driving a car will fully recharge its battery- This might hold some truth in it, but it requires quite some hours of constant driving at highway speed to recharge a battery. It is better to use a battery charger therein.
- During coldest days turn on the headlights to warm up the battery before starting the engine- Although increasing consumption can actually warm up a battery, but it will never be sufficient enough to ease start the engine. Doing this, might just use the last bit of power that would have started the car.
- Lead-acid batteries have memory- No, there’s no memory effect in lead-acid batteries and that is why they work so well in cars. Loosing capacity is the result of aging cells or bad maintenance.
- A higher capacity battery damages the car- The applications in the car will only use as much of the capacity as required. A higher capacity won’t do any harm.
- Once formed, the car battery isn’t capable of changing its polarity- During the initial recharge, a car battery can reverse its polarity when completely unloaded.
- A car battery won’t lose power during storage- A car battery normally discharges at a rate of 1-25% per month.
- Defective car batteries won’t impact the loading or starting- A weak or defective battery will affect the charging and the starting. If you are replacing the battery, alternator, voltage regulator or power, ensure all components are in good condition.
Taking these myths seriously, we are less likely to maintain the battery, hence shortening its life. Always follow the guidelines given with your car battery replacement dubai marina. Do not fall for any myths and if you want, find more information from the service provider.